These are perfect for any occasion. Whether it is a craving, a cookout, a party, a potluck, or just having with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee, these cookies will disappear quickly.
I am not sure how I missed the memo on using cake mix for cookies, but I am glad I found out. Cake mixes not only makes delicious cookies, but it also allows you to use one bowl and clean up is a breeze.
For dessert, try these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – it is divine and the kids are huge fans.
- 1 Box yellow or white cake mix – 15-18 oz. package
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- 1 Stick (8 Tbsp.) butter – melted (Or use vegetable oil if you prefer.)
- 2 Cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease a 9×13 baking pan with butter or cooking spray – a well-greased pan will prevent sticking.
Melt butter in a microwave safe mixing bowl or in a pan on the stove.
Pour cake mix into the mixing bowl with melted butter or into an empty mixing bowl and then add the melted butter to the cake mix. Stir a few times – do not mix completely.
Add the eggs and mix until incorporated to make a batter.
Fold in the chocolate chips – do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan, use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly in pan. The thick batter is a bit difficult to spread but this is normal.
Bake for 20 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into squares.
• Chocolate Chips and Alternatives
- Use your favorite chocolate chips: semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate are all delicious! White chocolate chips are really nice too especially if you throw in some dried cranberries!
- Regular M&Ms or mini-M&Ms are great as well – either alone or mixed with chocolate chips.
- If you like the flavor of butterscotch, butterscotch chips are fantastic. Same with peanut butter chips. Some people have strong feelings of like/dislike with these but if you like these, definitely use them!
- Heath chips are one of my favorites to use because I love the toffee flavor!
- Choose Holiday colored M&Ms for holiday parties!
• Cake Mix Options
- Chocolate cake mix makes a delicious, double-chocolate version!
- You can use any brand or flavor that you prefer, just make sure that it is a standard size box which is 15-18 oz. depending on the brand.
- Nuts: Feel free to add nuts to the batter with the chocolate chips – walnuts and pecans are my favorite.
- Coconut: Stir in some shredded coconut with the chocolate chips for added deliciousness!
- Dried Cranberries: White chocolate chips with dried cranberries is fabulous.
• Thickness: You can use a different sized baking pan to make the cookies as thick or thin as you prefer. You will need to adjust the baking time and test the center with a toothpick.
• Storing: Cool completely and store in an airtight container.