Your body needs cholesterol to function properly but definitely not an excess amount of it. The higher the level of cholesterol, the higher the risk of heart diseases. So, controlling your cholesterol levels can significantly reduce the risk of many heart-related conditions.
Often people have prescribed some medications for reducing their LDL cholesterol and raising the HDL one. Fortunately, you can reach this even without medications. Some small changes in your lifestyle can make significant differences in terms of your cholesterol levels.
8 NATURAL METHODS OF REDUCING CHOLESTEROL
Here are eight methods that will help you reduce your cholesterol levels without any single medication.
METHOD #1 – OATMEAL
Every adult person needs at least 30 grams of fiber on a daily basis. One such food rich in soluble fiber is oatmeal. The body can digest this fiber more easily rather than the insoluble one.
When digested, the soluble fiber ties to cholesterol and prevents its absorption into the bloodstream. In this way, fiber lowers the LDL level in the blood.
- 1-2 bowls of cooked oatmeal on a daily basis will significantly lower the levels of cholesterol over time.
- To make the oatmeal even more nutritive, just add some fresh fruits or nuts.
METHOD #2 – GARLIC
When it comes to a high level of cholesterol, garlic is the perfect food. It lowers the level of LDL cholesterol, prevents the accumulation of cholesterol within the artery walls and prevents their clogging.
This is how it prevents blood clots and high blood pressure. For optimal results, make sure you eat fresh and raw garlic.
- 2-4 cloves of garlic on a daily basis will make significant differences over time.
- You can even include 5-7 cloves for faster results.
- Just add garlic as seasoning to any dish or sauce.
- You can consume garlic in the form of powder, extract, capsules and tablets.
However, make sure you consult your doctor before taking any supplement.
METHOD #3 – CINNAMON
Along with the delicious taste, cinnamon is a potent anti-cholesterol agent. According to one study, it can reduce the level of cholesterol by 18% as well as reduce the blood sugar levels.
Although cinnamon can’t control your cholesterol, it can help you manage it.
One way to enjoy the pleasant taste of this spice is in the form of tea.
- 1 cup of water
- Cinnamon sticks
- Pour the water into a pan and add the cinnamon sticks.
- Let the water boil and then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Since cinnamon is available in sticks or powder, you can use both of these forms for your cinnamon tea.
- In the case of cinnamon powder, for one cup of water use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- When ready, strain the tea through a strainer. You can add a dash of honey to improve the taste.
- Also, you can add cinnamon to your cereals and coffee.
METHOD #4 – CORIANDER
Coriander seeds come from the popular cilantro herb. This spice can be both used in both whole or powdered form.
Along with the unique aroma and flavor, coriander seeds can improve your cholesterol levels.
- 1 tbsp. of coriander seeds
- 1 cup of water
- Pour the water in a pan and add the coriander seeds.
- Let the water boil and then simmer for about 3 minutes.
- In case you have only coriander powder, use 2 teaspoons of it for one cup of water.
- Strain the tea through a strainer.
- Drink the tea 1-2 times a day.
METHOD #5 – ONIONS
Onion is one of the most highly utilized and important vegetable for reducing the level of cholesterol. It’s quercetin, the potent flavonoid in the onion skin which can balance the levels of cholesterol. It is so powerful that even cooking can’t destroy it and it can even reside in the cooking liquid.
So, when it comes to high levels of cholesterol, onions are the best possible food.
If you do not prefer eating onion, you can drink onion juice.
- 1 medium-sized onion (peeled and quartered)
- Puree the onion in a blender.
- Place a cheesecloth over a bowl.
- Spoon the onion on the cheesecloth.
- Squeeze the juice from the cheesecloth.
- Add an equal amount of honey to the onion juice.
- Drink this juice regularly to affect your level of cholesterol.
METHOD #6 – RED YEAST RICE
The red yeast rice is traditionally used in China as a medicine. It results from a fermentation of yeast over red rice. This substance is known to improve circulation and lower cholesterol in the Chinese medicine.
Red yeast rice is rich in chemicals whose characteristics are somewhat similar to statins. For this reason, doctors recommend red yeast rice for high levels of LDL cholesterol.
An adult person should take 600 mg of red yeast rice 2-4 times a day. However, make sure you consult your doctor before you start using it as a supplement.
Note: People under the age of 20, pregnant and breastfeeding women, people with kidney disease and liver problems should not use red yeast rice.
METHOD #7 – APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
The benefits of apple cider vinegar for cholesterol have been proven in many animal studies. It has been found that apple cider vinegar not only reduces LDL cholesterol but also it reduces high blood pressure.
An additional benefit of apple cider vinegar is that it controls the calories intake.
- 1-2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of warm water
- All you have to do is mix the apple cider vinegar and water, and the drink is ready.
- Drink this mixture on a daily basis to keep a low level of cholesterol.
METHOD #8 – EXERCISE
Regular exercise is celebrated for the countless benefits not only for the heart but the overall health of the body.
- For optimal results, practice some rigorous exercise for half an hour on a daily basis.
- Combine different aerobic exercises such as jogging, running, swimming, cycling, aerobic classes, sports or dancing to get your heart pump.
- Enrich your diet with foods high in soluble fiber such as barley, oat bran, Brussels sprouts, flax seeds, prunes, beans, carrots, apples, avocados, and pears.
- Avoid consuming trans fats since they raise the level of LDL cholesterol and lower the HDL one thus increasing the risk of heart disease and strokes. So, stay away from baked, greasy and fried foods.
- Let the nuts be your choice because they can manage the levels of cholesterol.
- Another way of boosting the HDL cholesterol is by consuming oily fish or fish oil.
- Choose lean meat instead of red meat as well as legumes.
- Ginger, curcumin and black pepper are other potent anti-cholesterol agents.
- Make sure you avoid smoking, alcohol and keep a healthy weight.
- Anxiety and stress are other significant factors that can raise the level of LDL cholesterol. For that reason, practice meditation and yoga to control anxiety and stress.
- A laughter therapy is another method of raising the HDL cholesterol level.
- High level of bad cholesterol along with high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity are potential reasons that can lead to heart disease, and they shouldn’t be ignored.